Kibbey Wagner, PLLC logo

Tough Cases. Outstanding Results.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Personal Injury
  4.  » 
  5. Car Accidents
  6.  » Injured by an aggressive driver?

Injured by an aggressive driver?

On Behalf of | Oct 29, 2020 | Car Accidents

Driving does not always bring out the best in people. Too many Florida residents get easily angered when behind the wheel, leading some to get overly aggressive and do things that end up hurting others. An aggressive driver is a negligent driver, and anyone who has been injured by one may be entitled to seek compensation through legal means.

According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, roughly 80% of drivers experience frustration, aggression, anger or road rage at least once a year. In past years, there is evidence to suggest that over 50% of fatal auto collisions are caused by aggressive drivers. What driving behaviors are considered aggressive? A few examples include:

  • Blocking other cars
  • Speeding
  • Tailgating
  • Utilizing brakes or headlights to teach other drivers a lesson
  • Weaving between lanes
  • Not using turn signals when changing lanes

Road rage is aggressive driving on steroids. Drivers experiencing road rage exhibit many of the same aggressive driving behaviors mentioned above, but they take things even further. Examples of road rage behavior include the following:

  • Screaming
  • Cursing
  • Using obscene gestures
  • Running other cars off the road
  • Hitting other cars
  • Confronting other drivers

Florida residents who do find themselves dealing with an aggressive driver can help the situation by avoiding eye contact and following the rules of the road. Those who feel unsafe should head toward a police or fire station, or even a hospital — somewhere public where they can get help. Those who do end up suffering injuries in accidents caused by aggressive drivers should first seek the medical attention they require and then they can worry about seeking compensation for their losses. An experienced personal injury attorney can review the details of one’s case and file any applicable legal claims in civil court if doing so is deemed appropriate.