Tough Cases. Outstanding Results.
Richard Dean Kibbey
Richard D. Kibbey has been practicing criminal defense and personal injury law along the Treasure Coast for over 36 years. Mr. Kibbey has received a number of awards throughout his career. He was named one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers Association and called a “Legal Leader” by Florida Trend Magazine.
Mr. Kibbey is the proud recipient of Martindale Hubbell’s AV Preeminent rating, which is only given to the top attorneys in the country after a peer review assessment. This rating shows that judges and other members in the legal community view Mr. Kibbey as an accomplished, ethical, and highly capable attorney.
Mr. Kibbey was a Magna Cum Laude graduate of Adrian College. He then went on to earn his Juris Doctorate from the University of Detroit School of Law. During his time at the University of Detroit, he developed a passion for litigation while working for Neal Fink, a highly respected criminal defense lawyer in Michigan.
After graduation, Mr. Kibbey prosecuted criminal cases in Michigan for a short period of time before relocating to the Treasure Coast in Florida where he began working as an Assistant State Attorney. His passion for trying cases in court began to grow even further as he prosecuted criminals in Stuart, Fort Pierce, Vero Beach, and other local cities. Mr. Kibbey was incredibly successful in this position. In fact, he only lost one felony trial during the four years that he spent as a state prosecutor.
Mr. Kibbey decided to branch out on his own and open a private criminal defense and personal injury practice in 1982. Since then, Mr. Kibbey has completely dedicated his career to protecting the rights of the accused and seeking justice on behalf of the injured. He works tirelessly to win acquittals for his criminal defense clients and win verdicts or settlements for his personal injury clients.
Over the years, some of his cases have received national media coverage on networks such as CBS and Court TV. Other attorneys may enjoy getting national coverage, but for Mr. Kibbey, the best part of his job is getting to help people in the community.
Throughout his career, Mr. Kibbey has had the honor of working with notable attorneys such as Roy Black and Willie Gary. He has also had the privilege of working with Dr. Henry Lee, a well-known forensic scientist. Mr. Lee later included details on the case that he worked on with Mr. Kibbey in one of his books entitled Cracking More Cases.
Mr. Kibbey strongly believes that there is no substitute for experience. With over three decades of experience, Mr. Kibbey has the legal knowledge to win complex personal injury and criminal defense cases for his clients.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- Personal Injury
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, Detroit, Michigan
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 00/1978
- Adrian College, Adrian, Michigan
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1975
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Florida, 1978
- Michigan, 1978
- U.S. District Court District of Hawaii, 1989
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1978
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1978
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 1982
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida, 1982
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 1982
- Stuart, Fort Pierce, Port St. Lucie, Okeechobee and Vero Beach, Assistant State Attorney
- D.E.A. Drug Enforcement Award 1982
- Top 1.6% of All Florida Attorneys, Florida Trend Magazine
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers Association
- “Legal Leader” by Florida Trend Magazine
- Board of Trustees, Alma Mater Adrian College
- Florida Prosecutors Manual, 1981
Fraternities or Sororities
- Alpha Chi
Certified Legal Specialties
- Criminal Law, State Bar of Florida