Truck accidents are often-times significantly more serious than car accidents, and result in many more fatalities. A truck accident is also a more complicated case to pursue in a personal injury claim than a standard automotive accident case, which is why having a skilled, knowledgeable legal team is of the utmost importance. At Kibbey | Wagner, our attorneys have been fighting on behalf of the victims of automobile accidents, including truck accidents, for a combined 50+ years and have handled thousands of such cases, successfully winning our clients the financial compensation they rightfully deserve.
Truck accidents involve heavier vehicles than other types of motor-vehicle accidents, which increase the likelihood of those involved to sustain greater injuries and also increase the rate of fatalities exponentially. On average, a tractor trailer weighs between 12,100 and 80,000 pounds-approximately 25 times the weight of the average sedan. Due to their size and mass, tractor trailers and semi-trucks are even harder to maneuver, making stopping more difficult. In poor weather conditions, these issues are exacerbated, thus increasing the likelihood of a pedestrian driver to be involved in a truck accident.
In the year 2014 alone, there were a 27,000 reported injuries as a result of a truck accident collision, and a reported 657 reported fatalities (Source: US Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration).
Some of the devastating effects of truck accidents are:
- Serious brain injuries, spinal injuries or internal bleeding. These injuries are life-threatening and require immediate medical attention
- Paralysis and/or other permanent disabilities
- Facial disfigurement
- Amputation of the limbs
- Wrongful death, sometimes even multiple deaths of driver and passenger(s)
The associated medical bills and rehabilitation costs in such instances can be staggering and enough to change a family’s financial future forever, loss of wages due to the victim’s inability to work notwithstanding. At Kibbey | Wagner, we understand and emphasize with the struggles of all of our truck accident victim clients, and will not rest until their personal injury case is settled and they are compensated accordingly.
Even if the effects of your truck accident weren’t as life threatening, there are still other ways in which a truck accident can negatively effect the victim’s quality of life, such as:
- Injuries to the neck, back and spine, which result in chronic pain. Sometimes these injuries are not immediately visible but develop slowly over time, eventually becoming a true hardship for the victim.
- Loss of personal property-it isn’t uncommon for a vehicle to be completely totaled beyond salvage in a truck accident.
- Psychological trauma, including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), which can affect the truck accident victim’s ability to hold a job and/or creates other interpersonal issues between the truck accident victim and their friends & families.
If you are involved in a truck accident, it is of the upmost importance that you NOT agree to any settlements until you have sought the counsel of a proficient legal team. Especially in the instance of a truck accident, either the insurance company or the company whom owns the truck will be eager to settle as quickly as possible, in the hopes that the truck accident victim doesn’t realize they might be entitled to a significantly larger settlement than what is being offered.
At Kibbey | Wagner, our lawyers will go above and beyond, handling specific details of your case such as:
- Determining whether the driver driver should be held liable, or if the fault lies with the trucking company themselves. There are certain instances in which a driver has violated a federal regulation, such as by overloading the truck, or failing to adhere to a reasonable “rest” schedule-these are things which constitute as negligence and thus would result in the driver being held personally liable for your injury. In other circumstances, the trucking company can also be held liable, if they hired a driver with a history of DUI charges, or didn’t afford their driver the proper hours of rest.
- Obtaining relevant documents, such as the driver’s training files and log of hours.
- Investigating to see if there was any fault with the truck mechanically, or if the fault could lie with the manufacturer of the truck.
- Filling all of the necessary insurance documents; we have many years of experience handling personal injury cases and thus know the measures to take when filing these documents to prevent your claim from getting lost in the administrative shuffle.
- Collecting your medical records, and soliciting the knowledge and input of the most skilled medical professionals in the field.
- Organizing other essential elements of your case, such as witness depositions, meditation, arbitration and trial.
We are with you every step of the way and truly understand what a life changing experience a truck accident can be. At Kibbey | Wagner, we will work valiantly and relentlessly to guarantee that you receive the most compensation and restitution for your pain and suffering! We handle cases throughout the West Palm Beach, Stuart, Fort Pierce and Treasure Coast areas. Call our offices at 772-286-0023 today for a free consultation and evaluation, and let us show you just how diligently Kibbey | Wagner will fight for you.